We have been trying to sell our property and finally in desperation had to keep haggling until we found an offer the buyer would accept. It was much less than we would like, but we don’t have to worry about struggling to pay property taxes, or about getting someone out there to keep the yard mowed.
It is also the end of an era. For 2011-2016, for the first time in our lives, we had the security of a home to return to should everything else fail. That security is gone with the recording of the deed. Frankly that’s a little scary, but fear can sometimes be a wonderful motivator.
While we were out there, though, it occurred to me that the only thing standing between us and my being able to head out to Santa Fe was my daughter’s scheduled work on Sunday night. I had her check and see if she could switch shifts, a task easily accomplished, and we headed down through Roswell on Sunday and then up to Santa Fe, where we secured an excellent free campground for the night, right next to a mountain stream a mere 15 miles from Santa Fe.
Which brings me to one of my plugs. I get paid nothing for this. If you have not discovered the website freecampsites.net, I recommend you bookmark. While you definitely want to look the target campsite over, there are some excellent campsites available. One of the things I dislike is that the road trip is a dying tradition. By exploring and patronizing these free sites, it is possible to get back on the road on any budget.
I went in Monday and picked up my busker’s permit. I headed straight to the plaza, a bad idea actually as there weren’t many people there, and those who were there were not engaging (with the exception of one gentleman who chatted with me a bit but didn’t offer up any tip). By the rules I had to leave for 2 hours after I had performed for two hours, and then could return. I came back about 1:30 in the afternoon, but the rush was dying, so I missed the peak. That’s a living and learning thing, I guess. I had to squeeze in to find a pitch, but I did, and I put in my two hours, making a small amount that made the day a tad less dreary.
We are planning a return trip where we will stay up there for 2 weeks. The campground should be adequate over that time, and hopefully in playing the plaza every day I can gain more experience.
It does disappoint me a bit to announce that the bus work is delayed indefinitely. I do not know when it will launch; I know it will not be ready by WoodyFest. We simply are not meeting fundraising targets; I am hoping I can move the needle by pitching it out on the road, but it is going to be a good while before we can begin realizing the vision. In the meantime, we are making the necessary modifications to our car to adapt and use it as our mode of travel. We WILL get this done, I just don’t know when. After all, we cannot abandon hope, right?
I am still going to plug the fundraiser because we’re not stopping, we’re just going at the pace we can afford. And that, frankly, is not much: