A New Deck and Bunk

deckYesterday afternoon I received a call. Two weeks ago, I had put in a bid for some items at the library surplus auction. It was mainly computers, but I did bid on two sets of stairs, as we ultimately need some for the back entrance of the bus. I didn’t win that bid.

The call was because the winning bidder had never picked up the stairs. So I said, yes, I would take thee stairs. We ultimately need to get some stairs anyway. And besides, I had bid $1 per set, so $2 wouldn’t set us back any. And I had received a good news that the pulling and shaking that had me worried about all manner of things such as ball joints and tie rods turned out to be a bald tire that had developed a knot. I traded three seats from the bus to the guy who sold me the bus (he had been asking for them anyway), and the mounting and balancing cost me $25. So I had spent $25 instead of a couple hundred, and was in a good mood about that in the first place.

Then they asked me if I wanted the stage. The stage was in three pieces, and I had considered bidding, but thought better of it, as where would I put it? But pressed with the question, I decided to affirm that I would, indeed, take the stage, and hastily arranged help in moving it. I could pay anything I wanted so I paid a flat $10 for the steps and the stage together.

So we headed over to pick up the stairs and measure the stage for transport. When measuring, I noted the stage was only slightly less wide and slightly shorter than the bunk I had intended on building for my wife and myself. And lag bolts hold the legs to the stage, so making new legs with the height I require (we need storage space for underneath) is simply a matter of lining up holes on new 4x4s that are cut to the length I need.

So one section of the stage will be our bunk. Another section is being swapped to our landlords for helping us move the stage (they were looking at building a platform for a washing machine; this should serve nicely), and the third has been deployed as a deck in the back of the bus by the emergency exit.

All in all, I saved a few hours of time and at least $100 in materials by acquiring the stage. And we’re trying to strategize ways to pack the deck when we roll out so that we can use it as a deck/stage on the road.

Don’t forget, we are still working on the Justice Hoping Machine crowdfunding. I may shortly have some offline donations to add, but every bit you can assist with will help us get this bus complete. Thank you for everything you do!

deck

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s